- Virology.ca Tools
- Virus Wiki
Java Dot Plot Alignments
Java Dot Plot Alignments (JDotter) is a platform-independent Java interactive interface for the Linux version of Dotter, a widely used program for generating dotplots of large DNA or protein sequences. JDotter runs as a client-server application and can send new sequences to the Dotter program for alignment as well as rapidly access a repository of preprocessed dotplots. JDotter also interfaces with a sequence database or file system to display supplementary feature data. Thus, JDotter greatly simplifies access to dotplot data in laboratories that deal with large numbers of genomes and have a multi-platform organization.
With this program, you can:
- create whole-genome, sub-genome or protein dot plots from user-supplied sequences;
- quickly load pre-calculated plots of complete genomes from VOCs database;
- view and navigate the plots to pinpoint insertions/deletions and evaluate overall genome similarity;
- print/save dot plots in JDotter or JPEG format.
If you’re new to JDotter, click on the launch button (on the right) and use the Quick Start Page to learn the basics (or if you’re like us… just start clicking!).
The VBRC also provides additional help resources for JDotter:
- How to doc; short descriptions of certain analyses you might want to do.
- VBRC Help Book; our comprehensive reference manual.
- FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Finally, just email us a question and we’ll gladly help you out.
If you use this resource please cite the relevant papers (publication list).
Brodie, R., R. L. Roper, and C. Upton. 2004
JDotter: A Java Interface to Multiple DotPlots Generated by Dotter. Bioinformatics, 20, 279-281.
Submit a feature request
Is there a feature that you think this tool needs? Submit a wish.
Please sign in below to access this tool.
If you don't have an account you can register for free here.
Note: your computer may not be set to open .jnlp files automatically. Please check your downloads folder for the file and open it with Java.